Friday, December 21, 2012

Holiday Reading


Every time I get a break from school, I make sure I have plenty of reading material to keep me entertained.  This is the stack I'm taking home with me over the break.  It wouldn't be a holiday with several hours spent snuggled under a blanket with a good book while the chill wind blows outside.  I know I probably won't make it through all these (and the three or four more I already have at home), but I'll do my best and let you know what I think.  

Notice, there is a sports book in that stack.  I'm going to read that one first for all your sports fans!  Becoming a librarian has forced me to go outside my reading comfort zone and try new things.  There are books I definitely would not pick if I were simply engaged in casual reading, but they have expanded my reading experience and my view of the world.  

I don't have personal experience living in a post-apocalyptic world or a fantasy kingdom or a segregated school in the 1950's or even on the field in a high stakes football game, but I can get a little taste of it when I read a book.  And in that taste, I can see things from another point of view and just maybe learn how to empathize a little better with other people.  Everyone has a story with good parts and bad, and I believe a good book can help those stories converge.

Read something great during your break.  Read something cozy and familiar you know you'll love, but consider trying something new.  You never know, you might find a new love or a deeper understanding. 

What's on your reading list for the next few weeks?  Feel free to leave your suggestions in the comments! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment